The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) oversees the certification of nursing assistants.
So for you to become a CNA, you must comply with the following requirement:
- Complete a state-approved nursing assistant training program (NATP)
- Apply for a nursing assistant license
- Pass the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam
- Taking on a CNA Training Program in Rhode Island
- Applying for a Nursing Assistant License
- Evaluating a CNA Candidate
- Potential Salary
- CNA Schools by City
Taking on a CNA Training Program in Rhode Island
Your first step toward becoming a CNA is to enroll in a state-approved NATP training facility.
That’s because the curriculum they follow adheres to the standards and regulations of RIDOH.
In the program, you will spend a minimum of 120 hours of training, consisting of:
- 80 hours of classroom instruction
- 40 hours of supervised clinical training
After training completion, the training facility will:
- Award you with a Certificate of Completion
- Help you submit the Application for Licensure as a Nursing Assistant to RIDOH
Here’s a list of some of the approved training facilities that you can check out.
For the complete and updated list, visit RIDOH’s website.
10 CNA Schools in Rhode Island
|Alpine Nursing Home||Coventry, RI 02816|
|Aquidneck Island Adult Learning Center||Middletown, RI 02842|
|Briarcliffe Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation||Johnston, RI 02919|
|Cherry Hill Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center||Johnston, RI 02919|
|Grace Barker Nursing Center||Warren, RI 02885|
|Overlook Eden LLC||Pascoag, RI 02859|
|RI Allied Health and Safety Institute||Pawtucket, RI 02860|
|Saint Elizabeth Community||Warwick, RI 02886|
|Woonsocket Area Career and Technical Center||Woonsocket, RI 02895|
|Your Choice of Nursing Assistant Training School||Providence, RI 02905|
Applying for a Nursing Assistant License
As mentioned, the NATP training facility will help you submit the application to RIDOH.
But everything else must be done by you.
Here are the requirements for the licensure application:
- Duly accomplished Application for Licensure as a Nursing Assistant
- Original criminal background check (CBC) with stamp and seal from the RI Attorney General’s Office
- If a new applicant, CBC must be less than four months old
- If reapplying for a license, CBC must be less than two months old
- A copy of your state-issued ID or driver’s license
- Application fee of $35
If you’re applying for expedited military status, submit as well any one of the following:
- Leave Earning Statement
- Letter from Command
- Copy of Orders
- Copy of DD-214 showing honorable discharge
Evaluating a CNA Candidate
After training, you can now take the Rhode Island NNAAP Exam through the test provider Credentia.
To apply, you must:
- Already have submitted the Application for Licensure as a Nursing Assistant to RIDOH
- Submit the Application for Registration by Examination to Credentia via your CNA365 account
Once Credentia approves your application, you can then schedule your exam online.
Note that the written test is taken online, while the skills test is at a testing site.
CNA Candidates Eligible to Take the NNAAP Exam
There are only two candidates allowed to take the exam.
- Nursing assistants who completed the NATP
- Nursing students who completed at least two clinical nursing courses
RI CNAs with lapsed certification of more than 24 months and who retrained in NATP will have to apply as a “nursing assistant” in the NNAAP exam.
The RI NNAAP Exam
The NNAAP exam has two parts: a written (oral) test and a skills test.
RIDOH mandates that you pass both parts within 12 months of completing NATP.
On another note, below are some of the important information about each test that you should take note of.
Written (Oral) Test
- It consists of 70 multiple-choice questions taken from the state-approved content outline.
- You can opt for an oral test upon request.
- The oral test consists of two parts:
- Part I – 60 multiple-choice knowledge questions
- Part II – 10 reading comprehension questions.
- Questions in the oral test will be read to you twice for Part I and thrice for Part II.
- Both written and oral tests need to be completed in two hours.
- The written test is always in English, while the oral test can be in English or Spanish.
- The test site sets up the exam room to simulate an actual caregiving situation.
- You have to competently perform five nursing assistant skills before the Nurse Aide Evaluator.
- Each skill has an embedded task broken down into a series of steps, some of which are critical steps.
- Of the five skills, four will be randomly selected and one will always be handwashing.
- Of the four random skills, one must always be a measurement skill.
- You have 30 minutes to complete all five skills.
Shortly after completing the tests, you will receive an email from Credentia when your scores are posted in CNA365.
If you pass both tests, you will be added to the Nursing Assistant Registry.
Also, RIDOH will mail you your Nursing Assistant License within 60 days of exam completion.
You can verify your CNA status at https://healthri.mylicense.com/verification/.
If you have yet to receive your license by then, contact RIDOH.
But if you fail one or both tests, you must retake them.
Your score report will contain retesting instructions on how you can apply and schedule for it.
Note that you only have three attempts for each test to pass them.
If you can’t pass both within 12 months, then you have to re-enroll in NATP to retake the NNAAP exam.
Here are the fees you will have to pay to be able to take the NNAAP exam:
- Written and skills test – $165
- English or Spanish oral and skills test – $165
- Written test only – $55
- English or Spanish oral test only – $55
- Skills test only – $110
In Rhode Island, a CNA can receive an average annual salary of about $31,000.
But of course, how much your actual pay is depends on several factors, such as:
- Skill level
- Work experience
- Work location
Take a look at the table below for the salary information across the state.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of CNAs in Rhode Island