The regulations for Certified Nurse Assistants (CNA) fall under the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services’ (DHSS) jurisdiction.
You can only become a CNA and enter into the CNA Registry when you complete the following:
- State-approved nurse assistant training program (NATP)
- Pass the Missouri Nurse Assistant Competency Exam (MO-NACE)
Table of Contents
Taking on a CNA Training Program in Missouri
There are plenty of state-approved NATPs offered by training facilities in Missouri, some of which are listed below.
In the NATP, you will be prepared for the responsibilities that a nurse assistant does in long-term care facilities.
You will complete a minimum of 175 hours of training, comprising of:
- 75 hours of classroom instruction
- 100 hours of supervised clinical training
32 CNA Schools in Missouri
|Appleton City Manor||Appleton City, MO 64724|
|Ashland Healthcare||Ashland, MO 65010|
|Bethany Care Center||Bethany, MO 64424|
|Life Care Center of Bridgeton||Bridgeton, MO 63044|
|Life Care Center of Brookfield||Brookfield, MO 64628|
|The California Care Center||California, MO 65018|
|Camdenton Windsor Estates||Camdenton, MO 65020|
|Fountainbleau Lodge||Cape Girardeau, MO 63701|
|Life Care Center of Cape Girardeau||Cape Girardeau, MO 63703|
|Friendship Village Chesterfield||Chesterfield, MO 63017|
|The Delmar Gardens Family||Chesterfield, MO 63017|
|Parkside Manor||Columbia, MO 65202|
|Mineral Area Regional Medical Center||Farmington, MO 63640|
|Camelot Nursing and Rehabilitation Center||Farmington, MO 63640|
|Bent-Wood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center||Florissant, MO 63031|
|Jefferson City Manor Care Center||Jefferson City, MO 65109|
|Twin Pines Adult Care Center||Kirksville, MO 63501|
|Village Care Center||Maryville , MO , 64468|
|Scotland County Care Center||Memphis, MO 63555|
|SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Audrain||Mexico, MO 65265|
|New Florence Nursing and Care Center||New Florence, MO 63363|
|Oakdale Care Center||Poplar Bluff, MO 63901-2650|
|Riverside Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, LLC||Riverside, MO 64150|
|Laverna Village Nursing Home and Apartments||Savannah, MO 64485|
|Glenwood Healthcare||Seymour, MO 65746|
|Miner Nursing Center||Sikeston, MO 63801|
|Oxford HealthCare Springfield||Springfield, MO 65807|
|Carriage Square Health Care Center||St. Joseph MO 64506|
|Missouri Baptist Medical Center||St. Louis, MO 63131|
|Golden Age Living Center||Stover, MO 65078|
|Life Care Center of Sullivan||Sullivan, MO 63080|
|Maries Manor||Vienna, MO 65582|
Waiving of CNA Training
There are CNA candidates who don’t have to enroll in NATP and go straight to MO-NACE.
They are called “challengers” who meet certain criteria and have state approval.
- Nursing graduates and students who completed a Fundamentals of Nursing course with clinical rotation within the last five years
- Nursing graduates who failed the state licensure exam
- Foreign-trained nurses awaiting licensure in the U.S.
- Individuals who completed the Unlicensed Assistive Personnel training
- CNAs with inactive status in the Missouri CNA Registry
- Individuals with backgrounds in the gerontology and health occupations that have equivalent components to the NATP curriculum
If this applies to you, then send a written request along with other documentation to email@example.com.
Evaluating a CNA Candidate
Completing NATP means you’re now ready to take the competency evaluation exam.
MO-NACE will be administered by the testing vendor, D&SDT-Headmaster.
There will be two parts to MO-NACE:
- Knowledge test, usually in written format
- Manual skills test
For the knowledge test:
- You have 60 minutes to answer 75 questions.
- An oral test is available upon request.
- If oral, 67 questions will be read orally while the rest won’t be to assess your reading comprehension.
- You can’t use a bilingual dictionary in the exam room.
- Passing rate is 76%.
For the manual skills test:
- You’ll be evaluated by performing three to four random nurse assistant tasks.
- You must complete all tasks within 30 minutes.
- Passing rate for non-key tasks is 80% and for key tasks 100%.
Do make sure to take MO-NACE within 12 months from the date you started NATP.
To be able to take the tests, you will have to pay the following fees:
- Knowledge test – written – $30
- Knowledge test – oral – $40
- Manual skills test – $90
Note that fees are the same for initial exam takers and exam retakers.
Your official results will be posted online via D&SDT-Headmaster’s TestMaster Universe.
It will be available after 7 PM the day after your exam.
Should you pass, then your information will be added to the CNA Registry.
If not, then you have two other attempts to pass the test/s you failed.
If you still fail on the third attempt, you’ll have to retrain to be able to retake MO-NACE.
Out-of-State CNA under Reciprocity
You can transfer your CNA status to Missouri without having to take the exam if you:
- Currently hold a CNA certification
- Have an active status and in good standing at another state’s CNA Registry
You only have to submit to DHSS the following for review and approval:
- Duly accomplished out-of-state reciprocity form
- Proof of your current CNA certificate
You may email these to DHSS at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 573-526-7656.
After all the hard work on training and certification, it is natural to expect a good salary.
In Missouri, you can receive an average salary of $30,198 annually.
Take a closer look at the salary information in major cities across the state.Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of CNAs in Missouri
|Region||Employed||Avg. Annual Salary||Avg. Hourly Pay||Top 10% Annual Salary||Bottom 10% Annual Salary|
|Cape Girardeau, MO-IL||740||$30,000||$14.42||$35,450||$24,060|
|Jefferson City, MO||630||$31,760||$15.27||$37,860||$24,240|
|Kansas City, MO-KS||11,630||$36,050||$17.33||$44,180||$29,620|
|St. Joseph, MO-KS||490||$33,750||$16.23||$41,260||$28,530|
|St. Louis, MO-IL||12,870||$34,140||$16.41||$38,450||$28,630|
* Employment conditions in your area may vary.