The Virginia Board of Nursing (VBN) regulates the training and certification of both Certified Nurse Aides (CNAs) and Advanced CNAs.
To be a CNA, you must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a state-approved nurse aide training program (NATP)
- Pass the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam
Table of Contents
- Taking on a CNA Training Program in Virginia
- Evaluating a CNA Candidate
- Certification by Reciprocity
- Becoming an Advanced CNA
- Reinstatement for Former CNAs
- Potential Salary
- CNA Schools by City
Taking on a CNA Training Program in Virginia
To be a CNA, you must enroll in an approved NATP offered by:
- Community colleges
- Nursing homes
- Private entities
In the program, you’ll spend a minimum of 120 training hours, with 40 hours on supervised clinical practice.
To find a program, check out our list below or search for one at https://www.dhp.virginia.gov/Boards/Nursing/EducationPrograms/CNAEducation/.
Note: You can get employed even while training if you take the NATP in a nursing home.
32 CNA Schools in Virginia
|The Fountains at Washington House||Alexandria, VA 22311|
|Amelia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center||Amelia, VA 23002|
|Leewood Healthcare Center||Annandale, VA 22003|
|Appomattox Health and Rehabilitation Center||Appomattox, VA 24522-8721|
|Heritage Hall - Big Stone Gap||Big Stone Gap, VA|
|Heritage Hall - Blacksburg||Blackburg, VA|
|Heritage Hall - Blackstone||Blackstone, VA|
|Berry Hill Health and Rehab Center||Boston, VA 24592|
|Heritage Hall - Clintwood||Clintwood, VA|
|Westmoreland Rehabilitation and Healthcare||Colonial Beach, VA 22443|
|Piney Forest Health and Rehabilitation Center||Danville, VA 24540-4099|
|Kissito Healthcare - The Brian Center Botetourt||Fincastle, VA 24090|
|Carriage Hill Health and Rehab Center||Fredericksburg, VA 22407|
|Bowling Green Health and Rehabilitation Center||Green, VA 22427-0967|
|Gretna Health and Rehabilitation Center||Gretna, VA 24557-4157|
|Heritage Hall - Grundy||Grundy, VA|
|Blue Ridge Job Corps Centre||Marion, VA 24354|
|Blue Ridge Village||Martinsville, VA 24112|
|Old Dominion Job Corps Centre||Monroe, VA 24574|
|Heritage Hall - Nassawadox||Nassawadox, VA|
|Lake Taylor Transitional Care Hospital||Norfolk, VA 23502|
|Dogwood Village of Orange County||Orange, VA 22960-1096|
|Radford Health and Rehab Center||Radford, VA 24141|
|Heritage Hall - Rich Creek||Rich Creek, VA|
|Beaufont Health and Rehabilitation Center||Richmond, VA 23225-4048|
|Raleigh Court Health and Rehabilitation Center||Southwest Roanoke, VA 24015|
|Heritage Hall - Tazewell||Tazewell, VA|
|Kindred Transitional Care and Rehabilitation – Bay Pointe||Virginia Beach, VA 23454-2426|
|Oak Springs of Warrenton||Warrenton, VA 20186-2110|
|Waverly Health and Rehabilitation Center||Waverly, VA 23890-0641|
|Shenandoah Valley Westminster - Canterbury||Winchester, VA 22603|
|Heritage Hall - Wise||Wise, VA|
Evaluating a CNA Candidate
Update: Credentia replaces Pearson VUE as the administrator for the VA NNAAP exam.
After training, you can now sit for the state’s NNAAP exam.
This exam evaluates your competency as a nurse aide in providing safe nursing care to residents.
To be able to take this exam, you are to send your application and schedule your exam online via Credentia.
Let’s read on to learn more about it.
CNA Candidates Eligible for VA NNAAP Exam
You’re considered eligible to test if you belong to any of the following eligibility routes:
E-1 New Nurse Aides
Whether you’re a first-time test taker or a retester, you’ll be considered a new nurse aide if you completed NATP in the last 24 months.
E-2 Nursing Students
You belong to this route if you’re currently studying in an approved LPN or RN program in the last 12 months.
In completing your exam application, you have to submit an original letter on letterhead from the program director with the following details:
- You’re a current nursing student.
- You’ve completed at least one clinical course in the nursing program, including at least 40 hours of clinical experience in direct patient care.
E-3 Nursing Graduates
For nursing graduates, you can sit for the exam if you have:
- Completed a nursing education program
- Not yet applied for LN or RPN licensure exam
Along with your exam application, you must submit a verification of nursing program completion.
It can be an original or certified true copy of your school transcript.
And if you’re a foreign-trained nurse, you must also submit the confirmation from CGFNS International.
E-4 Lapsed CNAs
You belong to this route if you’re a Virginia CNA with an expired certification.
So to apply for the exam, you must also submit a completed renewal/reinstatement application with VBN in the past 12 months.
The Virginia NNAAP Exam
The state’s competency exam has two parts: a written (oral) test and a skills test.
You have to pass both tests within two years of training completion to be certified and added to the Virginia Nurse Aide Registry (NAR).
Here are the important details that you should know about each test:
Written (Oral) Test
- It consists of 70 multiple-choice questions to be completed in two hours.
- You can opt for an oral test upon request.
- The oral test has two parts:
- Part I – 60 knowledge questions
- Part II – 10 reading comprehension questions
- Questions for the oral test are read aloud twice for Part I and thrice for Part II.
- Both written and oral tests will be in English.
- You’ll perform five nurse aide skills in 30 minutes in a simulated environment.
- A Nurse Aide Evaluator will rate your performance based on a skills checklist.
- Of the five skills, one will be allotted for handwashing and four are randomly selected from the Skill Listing.
- One of the random skills will include a measurement skill.
- Each skill has an assigned task, which is broken into a series of steps, some of which are critical steps.
- You have to complete all five skills, with all critical steps accounted for, to pass the test.
For exam resources and other information, read the Candidate Handbook found on Credentia’s website.
Generally, exam results are available shortly after testing.
If you pass both tests, Credentia will submit your information to VBN for placement on NAR.
Do note that you can only be officially called a CNA once your name appears on NAR.
On the other hand, if you don’t pass one or both tests, you’ll receive retesting instructions on your exam report.
You have until the end of your eligibility period to pass both tests to successfully complete VA NACE.
Note: As of this writing, VBN hasn’t placed limits on how many times a failed candidate can take the test during the eligibility period.
You will pay the following exam fees whether it’s your initial exam or a retake:
- Written test – $45
- Oral test – $45
- Skills test – $90
If this is your initial exam, you’ll pay for both written/oral and skills tests.
Certification by Reciprocity
If you’re an out-of-state CNA, you can apply for certification by endorsement if you:
- Meet the equivalent CNA requirements in another state
- Have an active status and in good standing in that state’s NAR
If this is you, then you can apply online at https://www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/.
Upon receipt of your application, VBN will determine your certification and if an examination is required.
Becoming an Advanced CNA
If you want to level up your certification and become an Advanced CNA, you will need to meet these qualifications:
- A current Virginia CNA holder
- Has been a CNA for at least three years
- Is in good standing in NAR within five years before applying for Advanced CNA
- Recommended by a licensed nurse who has supervised you providing patient care for at least six months in the past year
- Completed at least 120 hours of advanced training in an approved program
Submit your application and supporting documentation at https://www.license.dhp.virginia.gov/apply/.
Reinstatement for Former CNAs
A CNA with an expired certification of more than 90 days is eligible for reinstatement if you have performed CNA activities…
- Within two years prior to your certificate’s expiration
- Within two years of reinstatement of application to VBN
You will mail to VBN the following requirements:
- Duly accomplished Application for Reinstatement
- Nonrefundable application fee $30
- Verification of performance of CNA activities
The address is as follows:
Virginia Board of Nursing
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300
Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463
Due to several factors, a CNA’s salary will vary across Virginia.
Some of these factors are:
- Skill level
- Work experience
Right now, you can earn an annual average salary of $31,497.
The table below shows how much you can potentially earn in the following cities:Annual Salary Range:
Average Salary of CNAs in Virginia